Monday, June 22, 2009

We Do.



On Saturday, we were married in a sweet, simple ceremony in Cannon Beach, Oregon. The forecast had called for rain, but by the time we were to say our vows, the sun was shining and the beach carried a mist at its far corners. The photographer had staged Lloyd with his back to us on the knoll where we would soon become husband and wife. When I saw him there in his fancy pants and crisp linen wedding shirt, I had to resist the urge to run up on him and tackle him with glee. There he was - my best friend, waiting patiently for me to come make it official.

Patience figures prominently in our relationship. I am the wild one, the one who always walks 15 paces ahead, the one who gets easily overwhelmed and too readily distracted. Lloyd knows how to slow me down, how to calm me and how to set me back on an even keel. I have done my constitution an incredible favor by marrying this man. I am truly the luckiest woman in the world.

Our wedding day was perfect. We started with bloody Marys at 9 a.m. and grinned at each other over a plate of pepper bacon and eggs. Then we separated to dress for the occasion: Lloyd's sister Loreen came to our fancy hotel room to help me fix my hair while Lloyd joined Chuck, his brother-in-law, at their hotel about a mile away.

You know what's cool? I got a sister in this whole transaction. As an only child, this is pretty darned exciting for me. I could not have asked for a better sister-in-law. Loreen has everything I do not - the ability to cook a fantastic meal, to plant a mean garden, and to be even-keeled in that uniquely Giberson way. It was Loreen who curled and pinned up my hair, and who firmly reminded me how much I love her brother once I realized he had taken our only tube of toothpaste with him when he had left with Chuck.

And then, suddenly, it was showtime. I'll let the photos speak for themselves. If I could use the word "perfect" once again without your wanting to start taxing me for it, I would.

My favorite part of our vows went something like this: "In marrying you, I am becoming much more than I am."

Indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you guys, that was beautiful. And I am so touched that you allowed us to be part of this very special, and perfect day. It was perfect for us as well, and I couldn't be happier about the person my little brother choose to be part of our family. I love you both and am so happy to have you, Courtney, as my sister. Now I can't wait until I have nieces or nephews. I will be the best aunt ever, I promise!

    ReplyDelete